FAMM’s mission is to create a more fair and effective justice system that respects our American values of individual accountability and dignity while keeping our communities safe.
The vision of FAMM is a criminal justice system in which:
- People are treated equally under the law and held accountable only after an independent judge considers the unique facts and circumstances of the crime and the person and fashions a sentence that is individualized and proportionate;
- Public safety is maximized through evidence-informed strategies and the expressed needs of affected communities;
- People of color are guaranteed fair and impartial justice, and all disparities based on race and ethnicity are eliminated;
- Incarcerated people and people with criminal records are treated with dignity, regardless of their offense;
- People are incarcerated close to their homes in order to maintain important family bonds; and
- All correctional facilities are safe and humane, provide appropriate medical care, and offer educational, vocational, and rehabilitative programming.
To learn more about our work, read about our ongoing state and federal projects.
To learn more about how FAMM’s work advances racial justice, read about our progress and future plans.