Employees of FAMM are deeply motivated to help fight the injustice and burden of mandatory minimum sentencing. The work is meaningful and the impact is profound. Whether you work as a paid full-time staff member or volunteer at one of our events, your contributions will help us to achieve our mission.
FAMM (famm.org) is a growing national, nonpartisan, nonprofit criminal justice reform organization in Washington, DC. Founded in 1991, FAMM works to reform sentencing laws and prison policies at the state and federal level by mobilizing, organizing, and engaging impacted families and formerly and currently incarcerated people to advocate criminal justice reforms. FAMM is hiring a State Policy Director in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We seek an energetic, self-starting team player with a passion for and experience in criminal justice policy and legislative advocacy. The State Policy Director will direct our legislative advocacy efforts in the state’s legislature during and after the legislative session. This is a full-time, paid position.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have at least 2 years of experience shaping and leading strategic legislative advocacy and lobbying campaigns, preferably in the field of criminal justice reform. Experience working in the Pennsylvania General Assembly is preferred but not required.
- Be enthusiastic and strategic about working with people of all political parties and ideologies.
- Have a strong record of policy and legislative research and analysis and working with lawmakers to draft, revise, and advance legislation.
- Have experience organizing, building, and maintaining coalitions of advocacy organizations for legislative advocacy efforts.
- Have strong writing and editing ability.
- Have a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or law degree.
- Have experience working with contract lobbyists and community organizers.
- Be able to travel in the state and, several times each year, to Washington, DC.
Applicants with a criminal record or other personal experience of the criminal justice system are welcome and encouraged to apply. The State Policy Director will report to FAMM’s vice president of policy and work closely with FAMM’s community organizers located in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
Salary: Depends on experience. FAMM offers an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) investment account, and ample sick leave and vacation.
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No telephone or email inquiries, please.
Employment at FAMM is based upon qualifications and competency. FAMM does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, color, sexual/gender orientation, marital status, parental status, veteran’s status, union activity, political affiliation, physical or mental disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform the job or any other basis prohibited by law.