Employees of FAMM are deeply motivated to help fight the injustice and burden of mandatory minimum sentencing. The work is meaningful and the impact is profound. Whether you work as a paid full-time staff member or volunteer at one of our events, your contributions will help us to achieve our mission.
Employment at FAMM is based upon qualifications and competency. FAMM does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, color, sexual/gender orientation, marital status, parental status, veteran’s status, union activity, political affiliation, physical or mental disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform the job or any other basis prohibited by law.
FAMM (formerly Families Against Mandatory Minimums) is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit advocacy organization that is focused on reforming the nation’s state and federal sentencing laws and prison policies. We’re looking for an energetic, creative, and strategic president to help our seasoned staff fulfill this important mission. Reporting to the board of directors, the president will oversee the strategic and operational effectiveness of our campaigns and staff.
Our next leader will not only understand current trends in criminal justice reform but will be able to “see around corners” and make sure we are prepared for emerging opportunities and threats. Experience in hiring and managing staff and fundraising are essential. The president should be highly effective in a leadership role that requires clear communication skills and an eagerness to work with policymakers and people from both sides of the political aisle.
- Lead an effective team dedicated to fulfilling the organization’s mission through advocacy, engagement with families impacted by incarceration and returning citizens, media outreach, and fundraising
- Serve as the face of the organization and participate in external events to increase visibility and credibility, and develop and maintain strategic partnerships to further promote mission
- Oversee all external communications, including website, marketing collateral, emails, and social media
- Create plans for achieving goals and objectives set in collaboration with board of directors
- Work with development manager to meet annual fundraising goals by securing financial support from foundations, corporations, and individual donors
Preferred skills and qualifications
- Strong leadership skills, with experience in leading nonprofit or private organizations
- Experience in public relations, marketing, and fundraising
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Familiarity with the criminal justice system and current debates surrounding reform
- Experience in working with organizations from across the ideological spectrum
People of color, people impacted by the criminal justice system, and LGBTQ+ applicants are encouraged to apply.
Salary: $190,000 to 250,000 commensurate with experience
FAMM offers an excellent benefits package that includes life, health, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) investment account, and ample sick leave and personal time off.
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone or email inquiries, please.