Bringing a Loved One Home through Commutation or Compassionate Release

Federal prisoners can have their sentences reduced and be released early through two mechanisms: presidential commutations and compassionate release. Please note that FAMM cannot help you or a loved one request or obtain a commutation or compassionate release.

To learn about federal commutations, visit our Commutations page.

To learn about federal compassionate release, visit our Compassionate Release page. 

State prisoners must request commutations from their state governors, not the president.  Learn more about state commutation procedures for your specific state below.