Answers to Federal Prison Issues


The Bureau of Prisons (BOP) manages federal prisoners, including providing food, clothing, drug treatment, mental health care, transfers to different prisons, and medical care. If an incarcerated loved one is having problems in a federal prison, use the resources below. Unfortunately, FAMM cannot help prisoners with these issues, and we cannot provide legal help, advice, representation, or referrals to attorneys.


Factsheet: Helping your loved one in federal prison 

Common Inmate Issues at the BOP

BOP Policies and Forms

FAQ: BOP’s Residential Drug Abuse Program (R-DAP)

FAQ: Federal halfway houses and home confinement

FAQ: Federal good time credit 

FAQ: Federal parole